Cooking Delights

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Blogging Catch-Up

OK, you know you are food obsessed when you have a back log of photos and cooking experiences that you haven't posted about yet! LOL!

So firstly, the squash soup made it to re-runs, slightly different salad, but basically the same thing. This salad has fresh mangoes and pecans on top. It is topped with an amazing Asian sesame dressing.


Next, inspired by my friend Carrie over at House of Simon I coppied her peach cobbler. Once again I tried to healthy the recipe. I halved the "butter" and drastically reduced the sugar. I also cut down on the white flour and used spelt flour. Carrie was right, this was best straight out of the oven.

Then there was this simple meal of salads and a fresh tomato sandwhich from the garden. The green salad is becoming a real favourite - garnished with walnuts and fresh pears. On the side was a quinoa salad. The flavouring combination in this salad was super cool - grapefruit, avacado and fresh mint. Pretty fresh!

And then there was take out. Avacado sushi and vegetable tempura. Next time I will skip the tempura (too greasy) and stick with the avacado sushi. Hey, are you noticing something about this post? It includes a lot of my favourites from my top five list!

So, that is what I have been eating. A lot of fresh, in-season produce. I am pretty impressed with my salad consumption as of late as well. I think I am actually addicted now. I can't seem to get through the day without a fresh salad. I honestly feel unourished. Dr. Joel Furhman recommends trying to eat a pound of salad a day. I'm getting there. Raw leafy greens are known for improving human longevity. They have a high nutrient per calorie ration and contain hundreds of cancer-fighting phytonutrients.

3 Comments:

  • At Sunday, 10 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Melissa, I cannot go a day without a salad (large one) either. Most days for lunch I pile a whack of veg on my sandwich too, and then for supper we always have a big salad. I need some 'live' veg with whatever we eat for lunch and supper.

    Anyhow, all those food posts look incredible, and your salads have lots of variety of tastes and textures to keep everyone interested in eating them. I still have trouble getting our girls to eat bites of salad... what is your experience with your daughter, does she like eating salads?

     
  • At Sunday, 10 September, 2006, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    kleo and dreena, thanks for the solidarity on the salads! Salads rule!

    dreena - my daughter will eat leaf lettuce covered with ranch dressing, she also likes creamy ceasar dressing. I know these dressings are not the most healthy, but if she will eat the salad, then I let it go.

    hi keri - I'm just picking up on some of the ideas in eat to live... I especially love his push on veggies. Where do you live keri? I am Canadian and I love the president's choice line - I like their honey dijon mustard dressing. One of my friends highly recommends the mango dressing that comes in the tall thin glass jars. Have you made any of the dressings from the book yet? That would probably be cheaper. What are you putting in your green shakes? thanks for posting

     
  • At Monday, 11 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks Melissa... we are the same here in that our older girl LOVES Goddess Dressing (Annie's Naturals). I mean, she will dunk her sandwiches in it, carrots, ANYTHING goes with Goddess Dressing. Except leafy greens. sigh....!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home