Cooking Delights

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Top Five things Everybody Should Eat before they die

I was tagged by Carrie over at the House of Simon to list the top five foods everybody should eat before they die. My list will be the top five foods everybody should eat so that they don't die (prematurely of cancer, heart disease, stroke or diabetes complications)

Walnuts
Walnuts are a fabulous source of omega 3 fatty acids. The omega fatty acids should be consumed in a ration of 2:1 (2 portions of omega 6 for every 1 source of omega 3) The average North American consumes omega 6 and 3 in a ration of 10:1! This imbalance contributes to long-term diseases such as heart disease, cancer, asthma, arthritis, and depression. Walnuts' concentration of omega-3s (a quarter-cup provides 90.8% of the daily value for these essential fats) has many potential health benefits ranging from cardiovascular protection, to the promotion of better cognitive function, to anti-inflammatory benefits helpful in asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, and inflammatory skin diseases such as eczema and psoriasis. In addition, walnuts contain an antioxidant compound called ellagic acid that supports the immune system and appears to have several anticancer properties.

Legumes
OK, so this one is kind of a cheat. I lumped all those amazing legumes together. Black beans, chick peas, black eye peas, lentils, white beans, kidney beans - they are all fabulous. They are a terrific source of cholesterol lowering fiber of and a fantastic fat free source of protein for vegetarians.


Avacados
Avacados are a healthy source of monosaturated fats that have been shown to lower cholesterol. Avocados are a good source of potassium, a mineral that helps regulate blood pressure. Adequate intake of potassium can help to guard against circulatory diseases, like high blood pressure, heart disease or stroke. Enjoying a few slices of avocado in your tossed salad, or mixing some chopped avocado into your favorite salsa will not only add a rich, creamy flavor, but will greatly increase your body's ability to absorb the health-promoting carotenoids that vegetables provide.

Quinoa
Quinoa is a miracle food. Not only is quinoa high in protein, but the protein it supplies is complete protein, meaning that it includes all nine essential amino acids. Not only is quinoa's amino acid profile well balanced, making it a good choice for vegans concerned about adequate protein intake, but quinoa is especially well-endowed with the amino acid lysine, which is essential for tissue growth and repair. In addition to protein, quinoa features a host of other health-building nutrients. Because quinoa is a very good source of manganese as well as a good source of magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorous, this "grain" may be especially valuable for persons with migraine headaches, diabetes and atherosclerosis.

Blueberries
My Grandma Butcher instilled my love of blueberries. I don't know anybody who appreciates this fruit more than my Grandma. Blueberries are nutritional superstars! Packed with antioxidant phytonutrients called anthocyanidins, blueberries neutralize free radical damage to the collagen matrix of cells and tissues that can lead to cataracts, glaucoma, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, peptic ulcers, heart disease and cancer. Anthocyanins, the blue-red pigments found in blueberries, improve the integrity of support structures in the veins and entire vascular system.

Kale
When I think of green leafy vegetables, I think of kale. There are few other foods around that pack more nutritional punch with very little calories than kale. Kale has organosulfur compunds that help to prevent cancer. Kale helps to optimize your cells' detoxification and cleansing ability. Kale has cartenoids that act like sunglasses to prevent cataracts. Kale is an excellent source of calcium with way less saturated fat than the calcium from milk.


What's my favourite cheat? Pie!
I love pie, apple pie, cherry pie, peach pie, peach and blueberry pie. To me there is nothing better than fresh fruit in pastry.

That's my list - I cheated since I chose more than five. I tag: laura jesser, dori, emmy from vegan diva, 28 cooks, and Super Connally from the green grotto.

6 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, 06 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That is a great list and I love everything on it. You're making me hungry! I love kale and this year we even tried Dino Kale. It was really good. And #6 is right on - Pie! Who can't resist pie? It's almost apple season and I can't wait to get started making apple pies.

     
  • At Wednesday, 06 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Melissa
    We loved the salsa it was yummy!! It was also great to see you although we had planned a much different sunday. I hope we can do it again soon in Guelph

     
  • At Wednesday, 06 September, 2006, Blogger Just call me Orangie said…

    Congrats on getting picked. I kepted hoping that someone would pick me, but it nevered happened :( Oh well,maybe some other time. And I love you picks, especially the blueberries and avocadoes! 2 of my favorite foods (right after carrots, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, peaches, cherries....)

     
  • At Thursday, 07 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love your top 5... it's funny, because I used to hate walnuts, but now that I'm vegan, I love them.. they are soo good.. I love to toast them a bit.. mmm..

    -Melody (melomeals.blogspot.com)

     
  • At Thursday, 07 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yeah...that's a kicker top!
    Megan the Vegan

     
  • At Monday, 11 September, 2006, Blogger Ana said…

    Your selection for the 5 foods is PERFECT!!! I love all five and completely agree with you, yet the best 5 foods I have seen, definitely everyone should try these healthy and yummy goodness!!
    I found your blog though another blog (gattina), and am really enjoying it!!
    Ana

     

Post a Comment

<< Home