Cooking Delights

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Beets and Spinach


I finally got my hands on Dreena Burton's The Everyday Vegan. With it came new ideas and new recipes. I love the idea of grating beets to put them on your salad. The sweet taste of beets reflects their high sugar content; they have the highest sugar content of all vegetables, yet are very low in calories. These colorful root vegetables contain powerful nutrient compounds that help protect against heart disease, birth defects and certain cancers, especially colon cancer.The pigment that gives beets their rich, purple-crimson color--betacyanin--is also a powerful cancer-fighting agent. Beets' potential effectiveness against colon cancer, in particular, has been demonstrated in several studies.

The pasta is Dreena's Mediterranean Pasta found in The Everyday Vegan as well. I loved the large amounts of basil and spinach in this pasta. Researchers have identified at least 13 different flavonoid compounds in spinach that function as antioxidants and as anti-cancer agents. Lutein, a carotenoid protective against eye diseases such as age-related macular degeneration and cataract, is found in green vegetables, especially spinach. Cooked spinach is an excellent source of iron. Although Popeye ate spinach to boost his strength, it's more important for menstruating women, who are more at risk for iron deficiency

10 Comments:

  • At Saturday, 19 August, 2006, Blogger Carrieā„¢ said…

    Ok, I went and looked in my book and I'm sitting here thinking "How could I have totally missed that?" Geez! My brain is fried sometimes I think. My husband could probably eat pasta every day. And to him KD qualifies as pasta, so this would be really gourmet! HAHA! That salad looks amazing! I really like beets. Thank you for the interesting facts too. It's good to know we're doing our bodies good.

     
  • At Saturday, 19 August, 2006, Blogger Dori said…

    I have this book and I don't think I have seriously considered this recipe either. After seeing your it sure looks good. Now I am going to revisit this cookbook for myself. :) Nice post. Sorry to read about your bread machine.

     
  • At Monday, 21 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Everyday Vegan is a great cookbook.

    The food looks so beautiful and colorful :) Yum!

     
  • At Monday, 21 August, 2006, Blogger laura k said…

    That looks delicious. Your salad is beautiful. I should probably eat more beets... I didn't know they were such a superfood! Although when they're that deeply colored, it's no surprise.

     
  • At Monday, 21 August, 2006, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    carrie and dori, that's so funny that you missed that recipe... wonder what recipes I miss in my books that you guys have cooked.

    Thanks emmy and laura... I love the colour of the beets too!

    Blogger has been giving me a lot of trouble over the last couple of days. I have been trying and trying to post. Hope to have better luck tonight!

     
  • At Monday, 21 August, 2006, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Hey thanks for the info. And appreciate the chance to say "Hello, Melissa West" to you!!! Great info in this post, much appreciated, Dragonslayer! :o)

     
  • At Tuesday, 22 August, 2006, Blogger fusion boutique said…

    Thanks so much for Sunday Melissa! Todd and I had a really good time with the family. I hope bedtime was worth the wait ... Can't wait to do it again!

     
  • At Wednesday, 23 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looks good. Might have to check out that cookbook.

     
  • At Wednesday, 23 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love the idea of grating beats...brilliant!

    I'm sorry to hear about your breadmaker. He/she is in a better place now!

     
  • At Thursday, 07 September, 2006, Blogger Wendy Wagner; said…

    This post made me check The Everday Vegan out again! I'd forgotten justhow great that cookbook is; it tops my Xmas wish list. =)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home