Cooking Delights

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Date Night

...or what not to eat at Fressen's. My husband treated me to dinner at Fressen's last night, but unfortunately, besides the soup, I ordered all wrong. It was such a disappointing night. Still the food looks fantastic.


Disappointment began when our waitress told me that I couldn't have the lemonade that she had offered me only minutes earlier. Apparently they were all out. Instead I ordered a grapefruit juice. It was good, but I could have made it at home and it was nowhere as impressive as their apple ginger juice.


The hit of the night was the sweet potato, ginger soup made with coconut milk. This was totally delicious, but again, I could have made it myself at home. Honestly though it was so good that hubby had to stop me from licking the bowl.


This peppery rocket arugula dressed in a cranberry vinaigrette with pears, pumpkin seeds and seared tempeh in a poppadum canoe didn't seem very peppery or rocket like. I thought it was good, but just not overly impressive. It did reassure me that I do like tempeh, a lot. I am actually totally convinced that there was something wrong with the tempeh that I purchased to cook myself now that I have tasted good tempeh.


These deep fried tofu bundles stuffed with minced pineapple on a sweet orange glaze were pretty good. Hubby didn't like it. The sweet orange glaze and minced pineapple were good, but there was another sauce that wasn't as sweet for my liking.


The warm avocado and corn salsa sandwiched between fluffy spinach blinis accented with pepper pures was so so. The taste of the salsa was kind of off. The spinach blinis were really tasty.


The absolute disaster of the night was the seared home made gluten-roast on candied orange yams with a red wine and shiitake glaze. It was listed under vegetables for some reason. I wanted to try gluten... but since have firmly decided that I don't like faux meats one little bit. There is a reason I am vegetarian and that is because I don't like meat. This faux roast grossed both of us right out the door. The texture was so unbelievably meat-like. Even the way it cut and broke off seemed way too much like meat.

Hubby told me I have lost my ordering privileges. I don't blame him.

5 Comments:

  • At Sunday, 13 August, 2006, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    That food looks so good... sorry so much of it was a disappointment. It seems that perhaps they spend a bit too much time on the way things appear versus not enough time on the way things taste! A date with yer husband is still really cool though...

     
  • At Monday, 14 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awww, sorry to hear your dinner out wasn't that great. The food looks good in the pictures though.

     
  • At Monday, 14 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    dragon slayer - it's so good to hear your honest opinion of Fressen. Personally, I've NEVER been impressed with that restaurant, although I've tried it a few times. Once I had a good appetizer, but never have I enjoyed the main dishes.

    It so good to hear that I'm not the only one. So many people rave and rave about Fressen and I don't understand why because the food simply isn't very good. I suspect they rave because it is a nice atmosphere, the interier is decorated quite nicely, and it's really the closest thing to a "high end" veggie restaurant we have in Toronto.

     
  • At Tuesday, 15 August, 2006, Blogger fusion boutique said…

    date night again eh ... you have been getting alot of those lately! Too bad you didn't really enjoy the food. Let me know about Sunday as we would love to come for a visit!

     
  • At Tuesday, 15 August, 2006, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    kleopatra - date night is amazing... and definitely this food looked better than it tasted.

    vegan diva - I know, I find it really disappointing when you are paying for food out and it is not as good as you hoped

    megan - I've had fantastic food at Fressen the other times I've been there, maybe it was just an off night. I think it is more likely that we didn't order the right stuff. I mean the meat dish was really good, if you are into meat.

    fusion boutique - you can never have too many dates, especially once you have kids.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home