Cooking Delights

Friday, August 11, 2006

Black-eyed Pea and Quinoa Croquettes with Mushroom Sauce


I cooked up this little number from Vegan with a Vengance, for today's dinner. It was a nice change from what we have been eating lately because it was actually cool enough today to turn on the oven in the kitchen. Black eye peas are a very good source of cholesterol-lowering fiber. They also help manage managing blood-sugar disorders since their high fiber content prevents blood sugar levels from rising rapidly after a meal.

Quinoa, quinoa, let me sing your praises! What vegetarian doesn't love quinoa our beautiful complete protein? Did you know quinoa is technically not a grain? It is actually a relative of the green leafy vegetables such a kale! Quinoa is a very good source of magnesium, the mineral that relaxes blood vessels. This can help reduce migraines and improves cardiovascular health.

By the way, the mushroom sauce for this meal was yummy! I also tried a new salad dressing for my salad - PC honey dijon, definitely tasted great on our garden lettuce and tomatoes!

9 Comments:

  • At Saturday, 12 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That looks fantastic. I love quinoa too. I think this would be a recipe my husband would love. I'm going to have to try it soon.

     
  • At Saturday, 12 August, 2006, Blogger fusion boutique said…

    your food always looks yummy ... thanks for the comment my latest post I think you will really like

     
  • At Saturday, 12 August, 2006, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    Hi vegan diva... even the pickiest of eaters like quinoa... my daughter (4) eats it by the fistful!

    OK Jewell, I am heading over to fusion boutique to see what you have to tempt me with today. I'm excited!

     
  • At Saturday, 12 August, 2006, Blogger Carrieā„¢ said…

    I just saw your post on Megan's blog and I'd be up for eats. We can all see if we can find out when Kleo is coming. I have a friend coming from England in October or November (dates not exactly nailed down yet) and a wine thing on one weekend in October, but other than that, I don't think anything else other than Thanksgiving. Keep me posted!
    Are you going to the Veg Food Fair at Harbourfront in Sept?

     
  • At Saturday, 12 August, 2006, Blogger Dori said…

    I'm glad to see this recipe. It didn't look interesting in the cookbook, but now that I see it ... Mmm. Looks tempting.

     
  • At Saturday, 12 August, 2006, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Quinoa is something i am getting to know slowly...

    Hey, i would love to meet up w/you (and any other Canadian veghead) in October... Will you e-mail me about this? Let's figure something out!

     
  • At Sunday, 13 August, 2006, Blogger MeloMeals said…

    that looks so good.. I love mushroom gravy type stuff... There are so many recipes of hers I need to make!

    Your salad looks great as usual.

     
  • At Sunday, 13 August, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi, just found your comments on another blog. Nice blog you have. I'll definitely be stopping by more frequently. Your food looks delicious!

     
  • At Sunday, 13 August, 2006, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    Hi Carrie - Great, let me know when you find out about your guest. I e-mailed kleopatra this morning to find out when she is coming.

    dori- this recipe was interesting... a little labour intensive, but worth the effort if you have the time.

    kleopatra - e-mail sent.

    thanks melody, the gravy was awesome.. I was really pouring it on.

    hi vivacious vegan - drop by any time you wish!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home