Cooking Delights

Friday, September 01, 2006

Cheese and Saturated Fat

I usually prefer to approach healthy eating from a positive perspective in terms of putting food into our bodies to improve our health. I don't usually like to think about depriving myself, rather I like to think of food as nuturing. But, and here is the big but, I am trying to talk myself out of eating cheese.


I was reading the back of the mozerella cheese package that I was using for the pizza I was making. I was shocked when I read that a 1.5 cm slice of cheese contains 5 grams of saturated fat! That means this 7 cm chunk of cheese contains a whopping 23 grams of saturated fats!!! Saturated fats are generally recognized as a significant cause of both heart disease and cancer. Basically saturated fats cause atherosclerosis, in other words, hardening of the arteries. According to Dr. Joel Fuhrman "Cheese is the food that contributes the most saturated fat to the [North] American diet and is one of the most dangerous foods in the world to consume. Though it tastes good, it should be used very rarely, if at all. Most cheeses are more than 50 percent of calories from fat, and even low-fat cheeses are very high-fat foods" (Fuhrman 2003, 135-136).



Well I tried to rectify this unhealthy pizza by loading it up with lots of fresh toppings. I find pizza a great way to use up the bits and pieces left in the fridge.



Here is the final dinner. A small slice of pizza served with a huge green salad loaded with cucumbers and tomatoes fresh from our garden. The flesh of cucumbers is primarily composed of water but also contains ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and caffeic acid, both of which help soothe skin irritations and reduce swelling. Cucumbers' hard skin is rich in fiber. Beets help to fight against heart disease and some forms of cancer so I shredded some beets on top in an attempt to counteract the cancer and heart disease causing cheese!

10 Comments:

  • At Friday, 01 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My nearby local pizza joint serves a delicious vegan pizza. I've discovered that if you season it right, you can make a delicious pizza with NO cheese at all, and you won't even miss it!

     
  • At Friday, 01 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mmmm! You are the Pizza Queen ;) I put your blog in my favs column.

    I have a hard time having pizza without some sort of "cheese"...I find it dry without it. Time to experiment!

     
  • At Friday, 01 September, 2006, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said…

    i love the bit about the beets counteracting! they are so good anyway - i really like the gold ones, and your salad & pizza look so delicious. man, i gotta get that book... have a great weekend! :o)

     
  • At Friday, 01 September, 2006, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    That pizza looks so good and so does the salad!!! I have been known to faithfully enjoy with a great deal of passion pizza without ANY cheese at all!

    I like what you did here, piling on the veggies!!! That's the best thing to do; and i always want more than any pizza place ever wants to put on... even when i say 'no cheese, so can ya give me lotsa veggies - please!!!?'

     
  • At Saturday, 02 September, 2006, Blogger fusion boutique said…

    Hey Melissa
    That looks great. I hope everything went well yesterday ... Don't worry we are in this together!

     
  • At Sunday, 03 September, 2006, Blogger laura k said…

    I love a pizza loaded with veggies--in fact, I don't miss the cheese at all. You have a great looking array of veggies there, too!

     
  • At Sunday, 03 September, 2006, Blogger Kati said…

    Love your blog! Just found it via suggested links on other vegan bloggers. It's nice to find other people in this part of Canada just as interested in healthy and yummy eating as I am. I'm tired of seeming to find all sources and info in Canada come from the west coast.

     
  • At Monday, 04 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "The flesh of cucumbers is primarily composed of water but also contains ascorbic acid (vitamin C) and caffeic acid, both of which help soothe skin irritations and reduce swelling"

    Great meal, I didn't even have to read anything before I was enticed. Nice to know food for thought that you presented.

     
  • At Monday, 04 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    P.S. Anonymous = dori of the bakehouse vegan food and family blog.

     
  • At Monday, 04 September, 2006, Blogger Carrieā„¢ said…

    NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! "Cheese is the food that contributes the most saturated fat to the [North] American diet and is one of the most dangerous foods in the world to consume. Though it tastes good, it should be used very rarely, if at all." I'm going to die. Cheese is on my top 5 list. I tagged you by the way!
    Your dinner does look really good. I bet with something so delicious, cheese wouldn't be missed.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home