Cooking Delights

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Tomatoes from our Garden



We have so many tomatoes from our garden right now that it is hard to use them up. Anybody want any tomatoes? I decided to try my hand at home made salsa again... I am happy to say the second attempt was much better than the first. I took this with me to a family dinner at my Mom's house this weekend. It was a real crowd pleaser. My family demolished this salsa in minutes. Everybody knows that tomatoes are an excellent source of lycopene - which helps to fight cancer and heart disease. Recent research clearly shows that tomatoes' protective effects against prostate cancer and cardiovascular disease are due not simply to their lycopene content, but result from the synergy of lycopene with other phytonutrients naturally present in whole tomatoes.



Second up is a simple tomato and lentil salad. The spice in this one is tarragon. It also has lemon rind in it. I thought it was quite tastey, especially with the cherry tomatoes from the garden. This was my vegetarian main dish at my Mom's house. Lentils are an excellent source of protein and fiber--with virtually no fat. The calorie cost of all this nutrition? Just 230 calories for a whole cup of cooked lentils. This tiny nutritional giant fills you up--not out.

1 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, 06 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yum! I love homemade salsa. Looks great and so does the lentil/tomato salad. I love lentils - healthy, tasty, filling, and cheap! What more could you want in a food? :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home