Cooking Delights

Monday, January 15, 2007

Weekend Breakfast


Sunday is the only day that I am not scheduled to be out the door by a certain time. Weekdays are a rush since my daughter has to be at school by 8:00 a.m. Even on Saturdays I start teaching at 9:30 a.m. It is nice to take a slower pace on Sunday mornings and spend more time on breakfast. Yesterday, inspired by Laura at Eden in the Kitchen I decided to make pumpkin waffles for breakfast. Now, just in case you thought I was perfect (ha ha!) I will let you in on a few disasters in the kitchen yesterday morning. First of all, I had to go grocery shopping before I could make these babies. That took until about 11:00 a.m. By then I was starving and losing brain function. So, I plugged in the waffle iron and proceeded to blow a fuse. From there I moved the waffle iron to the only other working outlet in the kitchen on top of the stove (not very convenient). The first waffle was a complete disaster - for some reason it didn't cook and stayed completely flat. (probably had something to do with blowing the fuse) The second waffle I burned to a crisp - how did the temperature on the waffle iron get turned up so high???? Third time was a charm and we all enjoyed beautiful pumpkin waffles with heinz beans in tomato sauce. YUMMY! Lucky I didn't give up! I spiced the pumpkin waffles with this masala tea spice that I found at my grocery store. It has ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ground pepper in it. It is fantastic in everything from pumpkin waffles to oatmeal cookies.

5 Comments:

  • At Monday, 15 January, 2007, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said…

    the waffles in the photo look fabulous! (they look like little tee pees) mmmm, good on the pumpkin and the masala tea spice sounds awesome. and regardless of this post, melissa, i'm going to continue thinking you're perfect. :o)

     
  • At Tuesday, 16 January, 2007, Blogger Caty said…

    The waffles look so tasty!

     
  • At Tuesday, 16 January, 2007, Blogger Judy said…

    Mm, I love homemade waffles. Usually my mishaps involve using way too much batter and having it bubble down over the sides. I've never had one come out flat - but then, I've never blown a fuse either!

     
  • At Wednesday, 17 January, 2007, Blogger Mikaela said…

    I. love. Beans. For. Breakfast.

    Even if it's afternoon ;)

     
  • At Friday, 26 January, 2007, Blogger Linda said…

    i second vicki's comment, those waffles do look delish!!! did you know they say the brainest breakfast is the traditional beans on toast? i read that somewhere recently.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home