Cooking Delights

Saturday, January 06, 2007

I'm a lucky girl....

I was treated today, first to a face lift in my kitchen and then to dinner at my favourite restaurant.


When we moved into our house about a four years ago it was completely white washed. Four years and a doctorate degree later we hadn't done anything to the house. We decided to try to spruce up the kitchen. I don't have a true before picture of my kitchen, but the cupboards used to be a really ugly beige laminate. We painted the cupboards white and the walls yellow. The yellow turned out much more like highlighter yellow than "lotus flower yellow." sigh



Before




After


Today we slaved over adding these handles to the cupboard doors and drawers. Even though my husband cursed a lot through the experience I think it was worth the vision I had for my kitchen.



Tonight we went to one of my favourite vegetarian restaurants in Toronto, Café 668 This food is so incredibly tastey there is nothing I can write to give it justice. You have to go and check it out for yourself. All I could think about was how much my brother in law, Martin would appreciate this food, since he can often be quoted as saying, "this is some serious flavour" while enjoying his food.



First up is a vegetarian curry. How do southeast Asians make their curry? I need to know, because this is absolutely my favourite type of curry sauce. I have tried lots of different curries, but I definitely love this one the most. This dish has tofu and some faux bbq pork in it. I love the faux bbq pork!



Next up is crispy fried noodles with four different mushrooms. Crispy noodles has to be one of my favourite things about Asian cuisine. Sorry about the photo here, as soon as the food arrived we dug in and forgot about taking the picture until we had already destroyed the presentation.



Last, but certainly not least, one of our favourites at this restaurant, curried eggplant. They lightly batter and deepfry the eggplant and then cover it with their perfect curry sauce. Once again, apologies for the photo, we had already started eating before we took the photograph, again!

12 Comments:

  • At Saturday, 06 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Crispy noodles are my favourite thing about Asian cuisine too. I want to come to TO and go to these restaurants with you. I've only found one here so far. Must keep hunting. These pictures make me hungry.

     
  • At Saturday, 06 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    oops, got distracted by my stomach and forgot to congratulate you on your gorgeous kitchen. The handles are really sleek. For what it's worth, yellow in the kitchen is my all time favourite and from here yours looks great.

     
  • At Sunday, 07 January, 2007, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    Thanks sleek. I want you to come to TO and go to these restaurants with me as well! Does your career afford any opportunity to travel to Toronto? If so I think it is a must plan event! Thank you for your encouraging words on my kitchen and for reassuring me about the yellow. I quite enjoy the colour when I am in it cooking and eating, it is just the initial shock of walking into it that I am unsure of. Yellow is of course the colour of the third chakra and aids in digestion... hence my reasoning behind choosing it.

     
  • At Sunday, 07 January, 2007, Blogger Judy said…

    Mmm, sounds so good. I just may have to try that place next time I hit TO.

    BTW, nice to see a pic of you below!

     
  • At Sunday, 07 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Melissa! The kitchen looks great. It's amazing what some paint and new handles can do. I have the same handles in my kitchen!

    Cafe 668 is about 10 minutes from my house. Paul works down the street at Toronto Western and I'm always subty trying to give him hints that he should surprise me with take-out one night. Also = I love Buddha's Vegetarian right next door. The ambiance is horrible, but the food is oh so good. I just love asian food.

     
  • At Sunday, 07 January, 2007, Blogger Catherine said…

    wow! great kitchen! I'm jealous.

     
  • At Sunday, 07 January, 2007, Blogger Caty said…

    I love the kitchen, it's a great colour- bright and happy! Sure to cheer you up on a miserable winter morning. And we have those hadles in my kitchen too!

    The food looks great- it makes me really want to try asian food, I've never actually tried it even though I've been to Malaysia.

     
  • At Monday, 08 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whoa, when I first read "face lift in my kitchen" I had to reread it...I thought you were having a spa day there for a sec!

    Mmmm.. that food looks so good. I'll have to coax the hubby to take me there one day..;o)

     
  • At Monday, 08 January, 2007, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    hi judy - yes I think it is one of Toronto's best places to eat.

    megan - that's funny you have the same handles. We've never tried next door because the food is so good at 688, it will be hard to motivate ourselves to try something else when this is the absolute best I have ever tasted in terms of asian food.

    thanks catherine.

    caty - now this is getting really funny, everybody has these handles! Well at least I can claim to have a trendy kitchen now. Thanks for reassuring me about the yellow. You've never tried Asian food?????

    ha ha ha nancy! Nope, haven't ventured into aeshtetics yet... although I am planning on trying my hand at some soap recipes soon... plus I also need to post about my Christmas gifts which were home made bath salts and body scrubs.

     
  • At Monday, 08 January, 2007, Blogger laura k said…

    Wow, congrats on the maekover! I wish I could give my kitchen a facelift, it's so depressing... but alas, it's not mine. I'm moving this summer and I hope to find a kitchen as beautiful and cheery as yours!

     
  • At Tuesday, 09 January, 2007, Blogger fusion boutique said…

    Hey Melissa

    It is amazing what a difference a small change makes. The kitchen looks great. Looks like you guys are getting a more comfortable home everyday!

     
  • At Wednesday, 10 January, 2007, Blogger Emmy said…

    Great job updating your kitchen. My kitchen in Michigan had yellow walls. It's such a bright and cheerful color :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home