Cooking Delights

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Cleanse Day 3 - Busted!!!!

Well I almost made it through three days of the cleanse. Today started out alright, but by late afternoon I was ready to throw in the towel. We spent all day painting the living room, dining room and front hall. By four o'clock in the afternoon all I could think about was having a normal meal. No amount of veggies was going to satisfy me! I needed some seriously uncomplex carbs!!!!!



This morning I started out with some tropical quinoa. I had hoped the coconut would have a little more kick. I think coconut milk is the only thing that would have pumped up this number! It was actually good, I was just missing my soy milk and some kind of sweetner - maple syrup would have been good.

Island Surprise

Ingredients:
1 cup Quinoa
2 cups Spring Water
1/2 cup Raisins
1/2 cup Pineapple Chunks
1/4 cup of Coconut, toasted
1 tsp. Cardamom, ground
1/2 tsp.Cinnamon, ground

Method:
Wash the quinoa to remove the seed cover. Lightly boil water and mix in quinoa, cinnamon and cardamom. Cover and reduce heat to low. Let mixture simmer for 15 minutes as the quinoa absorbs the water. After the quinoa mixture is completed, stir in the other ingredients and chill for 20 - 30 minutes.




For lunch I made a bulgar chick pea stew from Nava Atlas' Vegetarian Soups for all Seasons. This would have been good with something a little more exciting than one slice of wheat free, yeast free, spelt and wild rice toast. Megan the Vegan's empanadas for example would have balanced out this super nutritious stew quite nicely. As it stood it was just too nutritious to really enjoy.

So we made it through the afternoon and three hours of painting. Hubby went to have a shower after the painting and luckily came out waving a white flag. I was totally relieved when he said he couldn't do it anymore! We headed out to our local thai restaurant and enjoyed deep fried spring rolls, spicy thai eggplant, green vegetable curry, shanghai noodles, jasmine rice and a glass of wine. As luck would have it a cupcake store just opened in the same strip plaza called frostings (or something like that) so we went in a picked out a pecan pie to enjoy for dessert. We ate our pie with earl gray tea and Silk soy milk. Ahhh, sweet pleasures. My seratonin levels are starting to return to normal.


Day 3 Verdict:

When it started to feel like there was no pleasure left in life I knew it was time to call it quits. Hopefully almost three days isn't too shabby for my first cleanse. I don't feel a whole lot better than I did before I started the cleanse. Not lighter, not more refreshed, not more energized, nothing too different. I think we will stay off the band wagon for a couple of days and get back on after New Years celebrations.

3 Comments:

  • At Sunday, 31 December, 2006, Blogger laura k said…

    I know that kind of stuff is hard--I'm sure three days is not a bad start!

     
  • At Sunday, 31 December, 2006, Blogger Catherine said…

    3 days sounds like plenty! I was thinking of doing a raw veggies and fruit diet one day a week to see how I felt. I know an Indian gentleman who swears by this.

     
  • At Friday, 05 January, 2007, Blogger Fiber said…

    I've been thinking of a cleanse myself. I like Catherine's idea of a raw veggies and fruit for a few days - that should get some colon movement! =)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home