Cooking Delights

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Aloo Gobi


The other night I decided to try my hand at aloo gobi. I had some cauliflower in my fridge, which is unusual, because I don't often buy cauliflower. I find it hard to imagine that something so white could have any nutritional qualities, so I usually skip it. Cauliflower lacks the green chlorophyll found in other members of the cruciferous family of vegetables like broccoli, cabbage and kale, because the leaves of the plant shield the florets from the sun as they grow. Cauliflower and other cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cabbage, and kale, contain compounds that may help prevent cancer. These compounds appear to stop enzymes from activating cancer-causing agents in the body, and they increase the activity of enzymes that disable and eliminate carcinogens. We now know that cruciferous vegetables contain both glucosinolates and thiocyanates (including sulforaphane and isothiocyanate). These compounds increase the liver's ability to neutralize potentially toxic substances. Did you know that a one cup serving of cauliflower provides you with 91.5% of your daily intake of vitamin C. I guess I am going to have to give this nutritious vegetable another chance!


I served the aloo gobi with brown basmati rice and a home made coleslaw featuring cabbage, carrots and dried cranberries.

8 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, 09 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mmm...looks good. How did the cauliflower taste? Usually I don't like cooked cauliflower unless it's in soup.

    I like the way you served the rice..;o)

     
  • At Tuesday, 09 January, 2007, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    Hi Nancy

    I liked the cauliflower. I didn't overcook it. I made sure it stayed crispy. Nothing worse than overcooked cauliflower. Thanks re: rice. I've seen that on other blogs so I decided to try it.

     
  • At Tuesday, 09 January, 2007, Blogger urban vegan said…

    Aloo gobhi is probably my favoirte indian dish. Nice presentation.

     
  • At Tuesday, 09 January, 2007, Blogger Judy said…

    Just tonight, I was thinking the very same thing about cauliflower, and how I never buy it because it's so white. Well, I bought some and made a stir fry with it, and I think I will buy it more often, because I forgot how much I like (cooked) cauliflower. And now that I know it actually is healthy, I can feel better about that too.

     
  • At Tuesday, 09 January, 2007, Blogger laura k said…

    Wow, that looks great. The cole slaw sounds really unique--and delicious! One of my goals for the very near future is to teach myself how to cook Indian cuisine--your post is a great inspiration!

     
  • At Tuesday, 09 January, 2007, Blogger Catherine said…

    I love this dish! Great use of cauliflower...maybe that's what I should have for dinner!

     
  • At Wednesday, 10 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What about those light green cauliflowers? I wonder if they are crossed with broccoli or something.

    Your dinner looks awesome. Wonder if I can get Indian food for lunch today . . .

     
  • At Wednesday, 10 January, 2007, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    Hey urban vegan... aloo gobi is probably my least favourite Indian dish. But I did enjoy it the way I cooked it. I love matir paneer. That's the one with the peas and indian cheese.

    Funny how the cauliflower fooled both of us judy.

    Hey laura jesser - I'm sure you will succeed at Indian cooking. There seem to be a lot of great vegetarian indian cook books out there. Maybe this calls for a cook book binge.

    Did you have aloo gobi for dinner catherine?

    Hi sleek- yeah, I think that the light green cauliflower is a cross between broccoli and cauliflower - brocoflower. Seems I have started everybody craving Indian! LOL!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home