Cooking Delights

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Cooking Class Saturday January 20th

With a new year comes renewed energy to cook with healthier ingredients. One of the number one questions I get as a vegetarian is, "How do you cook with tofu?" or "Do you have any good tofu recipes?" Let's face it tofu is pretty dull on its own, but prepared properly can be a healthy contribution to any nutritious meal. This seemingly bland food can miraculously take on the flavor of its surrounding ingredients making it a highly versatile as well as highly nutritious part of a healthy diet.


Tofu is an excellent source of protein. Research on soy protein in recent years has shown that regular intake of soy protein can help to lower total cholesterol levels by as much as 30%, lower LDL (bad cholesterol) levels by as much as 35-40%, lower triglyceride levels, reduce the tendency of platelets to form blood clots, and possibly even raise levels of HDL (good cholesterol). Soy has also been shown to be helpful in alleviating the symptoms associated with menopause. Additionally, most types of tofu are enriched with calcium, which can help prevent the accelerated bone loss for which women are at risk during menopause. Fish isn't the only good source of omega-3 fatty acids. Tofu provides 14.4% of the daily value for these especially beneficial fats in just 4 ounces. Tofu is a very good source of iron, providing 33.8% of the DV for this important mineral in 4 ounces.


With all these health benefits you are going to want to know a few ways to prepare tofu in a delicious way that the whole family can enjoy.


On Saturday January 29th I will be hosting my second cooking class. In this cooking class we are going to learn four different ways to cook tofu.


Main Course Tofu

Sweet and Sour Tofu

Tofu Eggless Quiche



Tofu for Dessert

Chocolate Pudding

Cupcakes iced with delicious tofu icing


Here is a preview of the sweet and sour tofu that we will be cooking on Saturday January 20th. This dish is a favourite at our house. Apparently it is really good as leftovers as well, but we wouldn't know, because there is never a morsel left.

Here it is in the pan, cooking.


Here it is served with brown basmati rice and stir fried vegetables.

Come to my place and learn to cook delicious food and desserts with tofu in a fun, informative, and relaxing environment.


Cooking Class Features
Each class is limited to five people so that you can get the attention you deserve and enjoy hands on experience preparing your tofu. You will receive recipes, nutrition tips, and cooking instruction. Feast on a relaxing sit down meal after learning to prepare a delicious dinner and dessert with tofu.


When: Saturday January 20th 5:00 p.m.

Where: My place

For information on pricing and directions to my place contact me at: info@melissawest.com. Space is limited so reserve your spot early to avoid disappointment.

8 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, 10 January, 2007, Blogger Judy said…

    I would love to come - Too bad you're in TO and I'm in Ottawa!

     
  • At Wednesday, 10 January, 2007, Blogger Emmy said…

    Good luck with your cooking class. It sounds like it's going to be fun and informative :)

     
  • At Wednesday, 10 January, 2007, Blogger laura k said…

    Cool, I want to come! Wait, in live in Georgia, never mind...

    I hope it's a grand success! (I know it will be.)

     
  • At Wednesday, 10 January, 2007, Blogger Catherine said…

    yummy! too bad I'm in california! my latest fav tofu recipe involves processing it with tempeh (From Real Food Daily). Great texture! I also like it with miso sauce.

     
  • At Thursday, 11 January, 2007, Blogger Mikaela said…

    Lovely presentation! Wish I lived closer so I could drop by one of your classes :)

    Happy 2007!

    <3 Mikaela

     
  • At Thursday, 11 January, 2007, Blogger Carrieā„¢ said…

    Great idea having a cooking class, again! The first one sounded like a success. Can't wait to hear about this one.
    I wanted to also comment on your kitchen cupboards. I love the handles you chose!! I painted the kitchen in my last place yellow. I was looking for a buttery colour and ended up with it being more lemon. I like the highlighter yellow that you have. Being the wino that I am, I think I spotted a bottle of Masi Campofiorin on your counter?

     
  • At Thursday, 11 January, 2007, Blogger fusion boutique said…

    Hey Melissa

    Good luck with your cooking class. I am sure it will be even better than that last one you had!! The menu looks delicious.

     
  • At Friday, 12 January, 2007, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    Hi Judy, would love to have a fellow blogger!

    Thanks emmy and laura for your good wishes. They are a lot of fun... a great bonding night for the gals.

    Catherine... well you say too bad you live in california and I say too bad I don't live in california! Your new tofu recipe sounds fab.

    thanks mikeala

    thanks carrie, yes the first class was a roaring success. We had so much fun. Thank you for your kind compliments on my kitchen cupboards. It was a great way to give the kitchen an update fairly inexpensively. Thanks for reassuring me about the yellow that I have. Maybe it looks better in photos! LOL! You are an expert my dear, that was indeed a bottle of Masi Campofiorin. Friends brought it over for us. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I am not a huge drinker but I do find I quite enjoy half a glass of wine.

    Thanks Jewell, you're right, I'm sure it will be even better than the last one. Sorry we haven't hooked up lately. I've been super busy... what else is new?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home