Cooking Delights

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Recipe Testing for Cooking Class


Today it was time to test out two of the items for next Saturday's cooking class. I started by baking a cake this morning at the break of dawn. I got the idea from Albion Cooks to try out David Lebovitz' Fresh Ginger Cake. Now this cake is right up my ally. It is chewy on the inside with an outer layer that is cracked and crispy, just like good brownies. The reason for making this cake, was actually to test out a lemon, maple tofu icing for next Saturday's cooking class. Thanks to my good friend Carolyn, I was able to secure some agar powder and now the world is my oyster when it comes to tofu frosting. Having worked with guar gum in the past, I must say agar powder is WWAAAYYY easier. I was quite pleased with the results of this cake and the icing. The icing is not too sweet like a lot of other icings. The only thing is, I'm not sure everybody will share my complete love affair with anything gingerbread flavoured. I will probably be testing some raspberry icing later this week to compare.



For dinner tonight I cooked up a eggless tofu quiche. This recipe was tweeked from Nava Atlas' Vegetarian Family cook book. I made this quiche with artichoke hearts and sundried tomatoes. The meal was a hit with my family and is definitely ready for the cooking class.




There are two spots left in the cooking class, so let me know if you want to join us!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At Sunday, 14 January, 2007, Blogger Catherine said…

    Melissa - I'm glad you tried the cake! It's so moist and stays so for ages. We just finished it off today - it stayed moist and fresh for over a week!

     
  • At Tuesday, 16 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That quiche has my current two favs in it...artichoke hearts and sundried tomatoes! Is cheese an ingredient?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home