Cooking Delights

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Roasted Squash Soup and Cheddar, oat crackers


I am getting to that point where it is really time to do a grocery shop, but I am still trying to use up the rest of the ingredients in my fridge. I found a butternut squash and some sweet potatoes in the back of my cupboard and decided to make Dreena's roasted squash soup from The Everyday Vegan. I did change up the recipe a bit, however. I was out of onions, so no onions. I decided to roast a bulb of garlic with the squash and sweet potatoe. This addition made for a very rich soup and er, um, lots of flatulence! LOL! I love roasted garlic, but whoa nelly, does anybody else find it gassy? I am also finding that I am unfortunately developing a food sensitivity to sweet potatoes! Now who in the heck of it develops a food sensitivity to sweet potatoes? My tummy just finds it too much, which is really too bad because sweet potatoes are super nutritious. The cheddar oat crackers were fun, they are from Nava Atlas' Soups and Stews book, under the accompianment section. These are really neat. You cook them up in the fry pan until they are golden brown. I decided to get fancy and make mine heart shape. They were a nice accompaniament to the soup and a nice change from bread. The oats make them super healthy. I also used a combination of flours. Since I was pretty much out of whole wheat flour, I used a combination of kamut and whole wheat. Turned out great. Too bad my daughter wasn't that interested in them. I was hoping they would make a nice alternative to store bought crackers and even a great healthy snack to pack for school. Can't win them all I guess.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home