Cooking Delights

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Happy Birthday Trinity, Part II

Well, the birthday goes on. Today we had family for Trinity's birthday party.


For appetizers I chopped some fresh veggies and served them with Dreena's Creamy Hummus. I love this hummus. We were already on the nutritional home run with raw veggies and hummus for protein.


I made a fantastic lasagna, for which I losely followed a recipe. I made this lasagna healthier by cutting the cheese in half and mixing tofu, crumbled, into the spinach/cheese mixture. So, this was a spinach, mushroom, and eggplant lasagna made with whole wheat lasagna noodles.


For dessert, of course we had cupcakes. I love how this photo makes the cupcakes look like a bouquet of roses. These are the sexy low fat cupcakes from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, iced with buttercream icing. I cut back on the sugar in the cupcakes by 1/4 cup, but I don't recommend it. They needed some extra sweetness.

11 Comments:

  • At Monday, 29 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At Monday, 29 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yum, all the food looks very good, my daughter Ana is almost 5 and she will have 2 birthdays too, she love it!

     
  • At Monday, 29 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mmmm...soo much yummy food!

    Again, kudos to the cupcakes!

     
  • At Monday, 29 January, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    p.s. Melissa, I meant to ask you..where did you end up getting the agar powder from?

     
  • At Monday, 29 January, 2007, Blogger Linda said…

    Yum-my -- what a pleasant pile of happiness. I'm jealous. I could go for one of those cupcakes right about now!

     
  • At Tuesday, 30 January, 2007, Blogger laura k said…

    What a great birthday! The cupcakes look absolutely wonderful...

     
  • At Tuesday, 30 January, 2007, Blogger Emmy said…

    Yummy! What tasty looking food for your daughter's party :) Crudites and hummus is one of my favorite snacks.

     
  • At Wednesday, 31 January, 2007, Blogger fusion boutique said…

    Hi Melissa
    The cupcakes look yummy wish I could have been there but I had to work a double that day. I am glad that everyone had fun at the birthday party. I looked at the pics looks they are great! Talk to you soon.
    Jewell

     
  • At Friday, 02 February, 2007, Blogger Dreena said…

    Happy belated birthday to your little sweetie! She must have been absolutely delighted with those gorgeous cupcakes! What a great mom you are. :)

     
  • At Sunday, 04 February, 2007, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    Happy Birthday to your daughter johanna!

    Do you think we've had enough cupcakes lately Nancy? I got my agar powder from Noah's downtown. I have a friend that works close to there and she picked it uip for me.

    Thanks linda. Who can say no to a cupcake?

    Thanks laura, it was a wonderful birthday... smaller in the past so it was nice to visit with everybody that was able to come.

    The hummus was a hit emmy. People were starving by the time they got here for lunch!

    We missed you Jewell.

    Thanks for the Birthday wishes Dreena! Can't wait to see what icing recipes you have for us in your new cook book.

     
  • At Sunday, 04 February, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ha ha! You can never have enough cupcakes! ;o)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home