Cooking Delights

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Firsts



If you can believe it this was the first time I had cooked with fennel and the first time I had baked sweet potato fries.

The soup is a parsnip and fennel soup from The Everyday Vegan. This soup turned out really good. I found it a little light for a main dish, but it would be nice to serve to company. The salad and sweet potato fries rounded out this meal. So why would you want to make sweet potato fries over regular ones? One of my favourite nutritionists (local Canadian) Joey Shulman recommends "Go for Colour! Nature is very wise and gives us clues about the health benefits of various goods. In terms of produce, the more colourful a fruit or vegetable, the healthier it is for us. The pigment of the skin or flesh of produce comprises nutrients called phytochemicals. These chemicals offer a multitude of disease preventing and health promoting effects." (Alive Sept. 2002 No. 287)

Sweet potatoes are an antioxidant-rich, anti-Inflammatory root vegetable with an excellent source of vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene), a very good source of vitamin C and manganese, and a good source of copper, dietary fiber, vitamin B6, potassium and iron.

How does fennel score on the nutritional scale? Fennel offers antioxidant protection and immune support from vitamin C along with fiber, folate and potassium for cardiovascular and colon health.

4 Comments:

  • At Sunday, 17 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad to hear you finally made the sweet potato fries! Yum! I wish I could ilke fenel. I've tried a few times, and it just won't take.

    megan the vegan

     
  • At Sunday, 17 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I saw a cooking show the other day that featured a scallion and parsnip soup.. with a veggie broth base.. for the life of me, I can't remember which show that was... but I was intrigued.. I agree, it would not be a main dish.. but a good starter..

    Love the salads as usual.. and your calzones looks great too.. and sweet potato fries.. sooo good!

    -melody
    melomeals.blogspot.com

     
  • At Monday, 18 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yum! Sweet potato fries are delicious. We're on the same wavelength as I bought some sweet potatoes the other day so I could make some fries.

     
  • At Monday, 18 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Did making soup with the fennel dissipate some of its licorice flavor? Fennel is pretty, easily grown here (yay for local foodies!) and good for you, but I’ve just never been able to get past the hint of black licorice taste.

    :) Mikaela (jamintake.blogspot.com)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home