Cooking Delights

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Pies of sorts....


I *love* pie. I also love pizza. I had some leftover pizza dough the other day so I decided to make pizza pies, or calzones as they are properly called. The nice thing about the calzones is you can really stuff them with veggies, cut way back on the cheese and bake them in the oven. This particular calzone was stuffed with green pepper, tomatoes, and zucchini. The middle one was made with cheese and tomato sauce only for my daugher - hence the cheese oozing out all over the place. These calzones were a hit at our house, so watch for more of these in the coming weeks.




Next up is the first apple pie of the season. My daughter and I went apple picking about a week ago. Nothing like farm fresh produce. This pie disappeared in a matter of hours. I'm looking for the nutritionally redeeming qualities of pie. Well, it is loaded with fruit... apples none the less. Apples contain both insoluble and soluble fiber. One medium (5 ounces) unpeeled apple provides over 3 grams of fiber, more than 10% of the daily fiber intake recommended by experts. Even without its peel, a medium apple provides 2.7 grams of fiber. So the peeled apples in this pie contain lots of fiber to help digest our food. Apples have long been touted as an excellent source of flavonoids that act as antioxidants, moping up oxygen free radicals that can damage DNA.

8 Comments:

  • At Thursday, 14 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Melissa
    I love pie too must be a "family thing" Your calzones looks yummy I would make mine with cheese though I know that it is bad for me but I love it too much. Let me know about a time you have free ... I would like to get together!
    Jewell

     
  • At Thursday, 14 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Healthy justification for eating apple pie! It looks delicious.

     
  • At Thursday, 14 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    cal..fabulous! I've got to made my pizza that way nextime!

    Megan the Vegan

     
  • At Thursday, 14 September, 2006, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said…

    the pies look amazing... both the calzone & the apple. melissa, picking apples sounds wonderful! :o)

     
  • At Friday, 15 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    All I can say is that everything looks fab :) Mmmmm!

     
  • At Friday, 15 September, 2006, Blogger Harmonia said…

    I am discovering so many awesome blogs today and yours is one of them! Can I add you to my blog roll? Swing by when you can and let me know at:
    http://harmonia.bloggoing.com

    Thanks and have a smashing day!

     
  • At Friday, 15 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Melissa, your calzones are calling out to me! How long do you bake them, and at what temperature? I love pizza, but it would be fun to mix it up too! Apple pie looks tasty too! Great post!

    --laura jesser
    (myedenkitchen.blogspot.com)

     
  • At Saturday, 16 September, 2006, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    Hi Jewell - yup pies are definitely a family thing for us... must be because we had the queen of pastry for our mother. lucky us.

    toofondofbooks - yeah, making pie healthy was a bit of a stretch wasn't it.

    kleo - cool about the calzones, I think that is what I like about them, the fact that you can really stuff them.

    megan - the calzones are a nice twist on traditional pizza

    hi vicki - your girls would love to go apple picking i'm sure

    thanks emmy

    hi harmonia - yes you can definitely add me!

    hi laura jesser - I baked the calzones for about the same time as I would a pizza (10 -14 min) and at the same temperature (425 degrees)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home