Cooking Delights

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Wacky Pizza


This is a wacky pizza that I made a couple of days ago. I had it in my mind that I didn't have any tomato sauce in my cupboards (pasta, pizza or otherwise) so I was looking for alternatives. (Of course, after the pizza, hubby pointed out a can of pizza sauce of all things! LOL!) I had made some baba ganoush a few days ago, so I decided, what the heck, why not make pizza with baba ganoush. I also cut way back on the loaded with saturated fat mozerella cheese. In its place I used a heaping tablespoon of nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is a terrific food supplement for vegetarians, providing nutrition, enhancing flavor, and adding taste to your foods.It is an excellent source of protein (52%), containing essential amino acids. It is also rich in vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins. To boot it is an excellent source of folic acid, which is important for formation, growth, and reproduction of red blood cells. I know most of you vegetarians and vegans already know this, but my participants might not!

I am also using olives on pizza, an idea I got from Fressen, one of our favourite vegan restaurants. The olives give the pizza a salty zing similar to cheese. Olives are concentrated in monounsaturated fats and a good source of vitamin E. Vitamin E is the body's primary fat-soluble antioxidant. It goes after and directly neutralizes free radicals in all the fat-rich areas of the body. In combination, stable monounsaturated fats and vitamin E add a significant safety factor to cellular processes like energy production, a process that generates free radicals even when things are running smoothly.


Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home