Cooking Delights

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Energy Cookies


I am back to recipe testing for my next vegetarian cooking class on February 24th. Since February is heart and stroke month in Canada I thought I would offer a class that encourages eating more whole grains and legumes. February is the month that we in the wellness industry focus on lowering our risk of heart disease and stroke. The heart and stroke foundation recommends eating more whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and high fiber foods to reduce your risk of heart disease. The soluble fibre found in grains and legumes helps to reduce "bad" LDL (low density lipoprotein) cholesterol. The insoluble fibre helps to keep your bowels healthy and regular. Additionally the heart and stroke foundation encourages people to enjoy meatless meals a couple of times a week since they are both nutritious and easy on the pocket book.

These are Dreena Burton's Energy Cookies from Vive le Vegan. I have already promoted these cookies with my pre and postnatal clients as a healthy snack. I also encourage my holistic nutrition lifestyle coaching clients to eat healthy snacks and these would be a fantastic choice. These cookies feature nutritious whole grain flours, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, hemp seed nuts, AND are wheat free, sugar free and loaded with lots of goodies. Best feature yet, even my five year old daughter eats and ENJOYS them!

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, 07 February, 2007, Blogger Linda said…

    oh wow a cooking class?! fun. i've been meaning to do that forever it seems!

    well if your five year old loves them, i guarantee you i will!

     
  • At Wednesday, 07 February, 2007, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said…

    awesome! i love these energy cookies.

     
  • At Thursday, 08 February, 2007, Blogger Caty said…

    They look delicious. I've been thinking about buying Vive le Vegan for a while, I think this post might've convinced me.

     
  • At Thursday, 08 February, 2007, Blogger laura k said…

    Wow, why haven't I tried those cookies yet? I know what I'm making next time I get a sweet tooth...

     
  • At Thursday, 08 February, 2007, Blogger Judy said…

    Just wanted to give props for the Bulk Barn bags in the background! I love that store so much I could live there!

    Oh, and the cookies look nice too :)

     
  • At Thursday, 08 February, 2007, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    Linda, you should, just pick a day and do it. They are totally fun. Yup, I find if they pass the kid test, they are REALLY good.

    Hi vicki! Great to see you!

    Caty, you must have vive, it is one of my favourite cook books!

    Laura, what have you been doing with yourself? Stop everything, make energy cookies!

    Judy! LOL! I almost didn't post that photo because of the bulk barn bags! What an eye soar! Glad you appreciated it. Couldn't have made the cookies without the visit to bulk barn.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home