Cooking Delights

Monday, October 02, 2006

Pumpkin

With Halloween right only 29 days away there are lots of pumpkins available right now. I have been eyeing several pumpkin recipes in my recipe books over the last year but my grocery store doesn't sell canned pumpkin, just pumpkin pie filling. I decided to take matters into my own hands and go right to the source.



I started by cutting up the pumpkin and roasting it in large pieced in the oven. I soaked the pumpkin seeds to get all the pulp off and later toasted them in the toaster oven.



From there I pureed it in the food processor.



I bagged it into 1 cup portions. See how much pumpkin I have now? Nancy, you will no longer have to listen to me complain about not being able to get canned pumpkin at the grocery store. These 15 bags of pumpkin are now frozen in my freezer.




I used one cup to make these pumpkin waffles!


Pumpkins help to regulate blood sugar metabolism; support the spleenpancreas; and relieve bronchial asthma - which is a good thing since both my daughter and I suffer from asthma. Don't forget about the pumpkin seeds! Pumpkin seeds are higher in protein (29%) than many other seeds and nuts, and they are a valuable source of the important Omega-3 fatty acids.

6 Comments:

  • At Monday, 02 October, 2006, Blogger Judy said…

    I eat pumpkin like it's going out of style. I have made my own puree before, but usually resort to buying it.
    I love your blog. It is so informative without being preachy, and you take fabulous pictures too.
    I'll visit often!

     
  • At Monday, 02 October, 2006, Blogger Kati said…

    It must be pumpkin season! I've been making a lot of pumpkin-y recipes myself, although I haven't used a single pumpkin yet...

     
  • At Monday, 02 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pumpkin is insanely healthy... who knew! Thanks for the info, Melissa!!! Also, i love the waffle... nice to look at and i'm sure great to munch!

     
  • At Tuesday, 03 October, 2006, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said…

    pumpkin waffles sound amazing -- and think of the possibilities w/15 bags in the freezer. i love how you took charge of the situation! :o)

     
  • At Tuesday, 03 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    great idea to freeze it ahead like that. I need to get organized

     
  • At Tuesday, 03 October, 2006, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    Hi judy - thanks for the compliments... love the photo, stop by often, I'd love to see you.

    hi kati - yup there is something about the fall that makes you want to cook pumpkin-y recipes!

    Hi kleo - our rendevous in TO is coming up! Can't wait to meet. The waffles were a hit!

    vicki - you read my mind - lots of possibilities now!

    megan - you ARE organized - I seem to remember somebody buying cases of soy and rice milk a few weeks back - not that is organized.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home