Cooking Delights

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A couple of dinners....


Carrot Zucchini Crumb Casserole


This is from Dreena Burton's The Everyday Vegan. I used fresh carrots and zucchini from the garden. This dish is listed as a main course, but I think it would be much better as a side. A combination of things went wrong here. It is getting colder so the garden isn't giving up much anymore - I think the zucchini lacked flavour and freshness. Also, I don't think it was cooked enough either. I tried cooking it some more, but it really didn't come out much better. The soft tofu in this gave it a nice protein kick.





Cheezy Rice and Broccoli Casserole
Next up, in my attempt to cut back on cheese intake and move towards veganism, is my first creation from The Uncheese Cookbook. I had high hopes for this since Vegan Diva had been raving about it. I was a bit disappointed with the taste - I expected more cheese flavour - but unfortunately it did not deliver. Now here is the funny part. My daughter kept complaining that she didn't like it, but she ate a whole bowl of it! Also, my hubby polished off the entire casserole after my daughter and I were done with it. So, it wasn't anything really special, but it is SUPER easy to make, so I expect I will make it again. I made mine with brown basmati rice for an additional nutrition kick. Broccoli is one of those wonder foods that provides cancer protection. Like other cruciferous vegetables, broccoli contains phytochemicals--sulforaphane and the indoles--with significant anti-cancer effects. I served this with one of my favourite salads in a bag. This is an Asian mix. I can't wait for the baby greens and baby spinach to come back on the shelves. (Really do North Americans need another detour from eating fresh greens? iy yi yi!)


And if I may, a little rant. If one more person asks me how I get my protein, so help me! My ideal response is to ask how they get their 5-10 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Unfortunately I have not figured out a way to bring this in politely. Even the Canadian food guide only recommends two servings of protein a day. When is our protein obsessed society going to wake up and discover the health benefits of consuming large amounts of vegetables and fruits to fight against heart disease, stroke, cancer and type two diabetes?

7 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, 20 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You win some, you lose some.

    I hear you about the protein. It's like that question comes out automatically--yet people don;t know that most poeple eat way too much protein. {RIP, Dr. Atkins!]

     
  • At Wednesday, 20 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have tried a few uncheeze cookbook recipes, but not that one. My feeling is, you can try these types of recipes as substitutes, but they certainly don't taste like cheese.

    I haven't got the where do you get your protein question in a while...I guess I haven't met many new people lately.

    Megan the Vegan

     
  • At Wednesday, 20 September, 2006, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said…

    it's the protein myth john robbins talks about. your daughter cracks me up -- that's too funny! :o)

     
  • At Thursday, 21 September, 2006, Blogger Carrieā„¢ said…

    I wanted to give that zucchini casserole a try. Your picture looks yummy. I'm bummed about this whole spinach thing too. I want to make lasagna and had to buy frozen. And I miss my babies! (greens that is)

     
  • At Thursday, 21 September, 2006, Blogger Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said…

    My in laws are wonderful, well-meaning folks, but some of the women are in the health care profession (my MIL is a dietician, her sister heads up a Pediatric Transplant team) and it's frustrating sometimes to butt up against the western medicine they've been taught. While they're open to my decisions and, for the most part, supportive they got that worried look when I told them I'd switched from vegetarianism to veganism and immediately started questioning me about protein, iron, what I'd eat, all that.

    Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina has been such a wonderful read and an amazing resource for me. It's full of tables of nutrition information that I bring to the table at all family dinners now (the info, not the book! :) I find that I'm learning so much about the food I eat, the combinations in which to eat it to gain the most nutritive qualities, that I am armed with a veritable library of knowledge which they are totally willing to be presented with and are genuinely pleased to see that I'm doing my homework to take care of me and educate others.

    A good Whole Foods Encyclopedia is another great resource to talk up your favorite grains, fruits, and veggies. :)

    I know what you mean about greens. I'm such a spinach lover!!! Funny, the more I read about it, tho, the more I find that, while totally healthy, it's not as easy for the body to intake all that it has to offer, making it ineffective for the most part. I'm trying to do more in the way of Kale and Romaine to get the most out of my greens.

    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, broccoli! :)

     
  • At Saturday, 23 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Melissa
    It all looks yummy. I come to your site to inspire me to cook. I have been busy so that is why I say inspire. I hope things are going well. I am sure you are just as busy as me. And as a side note things are fine with the family ... did dinner on thursday instead! We should chat soon!
    Jewell

     
  • At Saturday, 23 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I miss my spinach too! Your casseroles look good--sorry the taste didn't come out as you hoped.

    Protein---aaaaahhh! People think it's so unhealthy not to eat meat, meat, meat at every meal. If you're eating a TRULY balanced diet, full of fruits and vegetables and dietary fiber and whole grains, the protein takes care of itself. When will people come around?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home