Cooking Delights

Sunday, October 01, 2006

A healthy salad


Here is a salad that I made last week. Underneath all the toppings is romaine lettuce. This salad is topped with the last of the tomatoes from our garden, shreded beets, and hemp seed nuts.


Man I love beets, I really need to try to cook some! I always eat them raw before I get to that. Beets contain powerful nutrient compounds that help protect against heart disease, birth defects and certain cancers, especially colon cancer. Man, if only I could get my Dad to eat more, more, more fresh veggies! Dad if you are reading this - beets, veggies, lots of them! The pigment that gives beets their rich, purple-crimson color--betacyanin--is also a powerful cancer-fighting agent.


On to the hemp seeds. My friend Julie asked me if she could eat them since nuts cause her migraines. What about nut allergies? Hemp seed is a fruit and not a nut. The anaphylaxis society has no reported cases of hemp seed or hemp seed oil causing reactions to people with nut allergies. It is important to note that traces of peanut and other nuts may occur in the manufacturing process and therefore anyone with a peanut or nut allergy should take care to read the product labels for suitability. Hemp seed is 33% protein, rich in vitamin E and iron, as well as Omega-3, 6, 9 and GLA. hemp nut offers complete, whole food nutrition.

3 Comments:

  • At Sunday, 01 October, 2006, Blogger Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said…

    Your salad looks soooo good. I'm a sucker for all foods brightly colored. Nature sured does have a way of making appealing what is good for us. :)

    I've never in my life tried beets, but keep eyeing them at the store. I think next time I'll go for it and try them both raw and cooked.

    Thanks for the info!

     
  • At Monday, 02 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Enjoyed the info on hemp seeds. I've heard so much about them. I'll have to try using them soon.

     
  • At Tuesday, 03 October, 2006, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Gorgeous!!! Wow, so beautiful, Melissa!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home