Cooking Delights

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Recipe Testing for Cooking Class

Lately I have been thinking, nobody teaches vegetarian cooking classes around here, somebody should really do that. To borrow Isa Chandra Moskowitz's mantra, "I'm a somebody!" I started mentioning the idea that I was thinking of offering vegetarian cooking classes to teach people to cook delicious balanced vegetarian meals using fresh seasonal whole foods. The response seemed pretty encouraging, so I decided to go ahead.


The first cooking class is going to happen on Saturday October 14 from 5 - 8 p.m. at my place. We're going to make Roasted Butternut Squash Soup, Simple Pear and Walnut Salad, Cashew and Soy Bean Nut Roast drizzled with mushroom gravy, and Apple Crisp for dessert.



Thanks to Carolyn for this recipe! It has been a real hit at our house and so I can now confidently use it for a wonderful dessert at my first cooking class. This apple crisp is super healthy. The coating has lots of rolled oats and wheat germ. The rolled oats and wheat germ help to stabilize the release of brown sugar used in this recipe to sweeten the apples. The recipe is also made healthy by replacing the butter with canola oil and some of the sugar with yummy maple syrup. I love the cranberries in this recipe. Cranberries have long been valued for their ability to help prevent and treat urinary tract infections. Now, recent studies suggest that this native American berry may also promote gastrointestinal and oral health, prevent the formation of kidney stones, lower LDL and raise HDL (good) cholesterol, aid in recovery from stroke, and even help prevent cancer.



Feel free to contact me (info@melissawest.com) for information on the cooking classes. There is a special discount for those who register by October 7th!

6 Comments:

  • At Saturday, 30 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow - goof for you Melissa...you are somebody! I'm sure you'll do a great job...you know so much about nutrition that I'm sure your classes will be a great mix of cooking tips and nutrition tips.

    megan the vegan

     
  • At Saturday, 30 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hurrah Melissa!!!

    I have thought/wanted to do cooking classes myself but I am just not in a place to do them right now. Maybe after this next book is done. I get the sense that there is a dire need and 'want' for real, sensible, practical information about healthy food and cooking that is not overwhelming or 'trendy' with whatever the media is pushing.

    You ARE a somebody, and an excellent somebody at that to teach these cooking classes. You can share a lot of your food and nutrition knowledge and your own experience too. Good luck to you! :)

     
  • At Saturday, 30 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Melissa, what a great idea! I wish I was near you so that I could come... :( Maybe I'll just have to do the same thing myself sometime!

    Delicious looking apple crisp you have there... I would love to have a taste!

     
  • At Sunday, 01 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Melissa
    Sounds like a great idea!! I am sure you will be a great success at the cooking classes. I wish I had time or the "means" to come! Talk to you soon,
    Jewell

     
  • At Thursday, 12 April, 2007, Blogger Aurelie said…

    I congradulate you! That is a great idea! So many people have misconceptions on how to cook vegan foods. This will really help them out.

     
  • At Saturday, 10 April, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello,

    Do you guys watch movies in theater or on internet? I use to rent DVD movies from [b]Netflix.com[/b]. Recently I discovered that we can watch all new movies on internet on day, they are released. So why should I spend money on renting movies??? So, can you guys please tell me where I can [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]watch latest movie Iron Man 2 2010[/url] for free?? I have searched [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Youtube.com[/url], [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Dailymotion.com[/url], [url=http://www.watchhotmoviesfree.com]Megavideo.com[/url] but, Could not find a good working link. If you know any working link please share it with me.


    Thanks

     

Post a Comment

<< Home