Cooking Delights

Monday, October 02, 2006

Morrocan Chick Pea Patties


These are the morrocan chick pea patties from Dreena's Vive Le Vegan. They were pretty tastey. Chick peas are a great source of fiber. soluble fiber forms a gel-like substance in the digestive tract that snares bile (which contains cholesterol)and ferries it out of the body. Research studies have shown that insoluble fiber not only helps to increase stool bulk and prevent constipation, but also helps prevent digestive disorders like irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis.


I have made these chick pea patties before without the fennel, but they are really good with the fennel! I am officially no longer afraid of fennel. Fennel is helpful for indigestion, gas, and spasms of the digestive tract. It also helps to expel phlegm from the lungs - another good thing for relieving the symptoms of asthma! Fennel is weakly strogenic and helps stimulate lactation and mentrual periods and helps to facilitate birth.


The chick pea patties are coated with a mixture of bread crumbs and sesame seeds. Not only are sesame seeds a very good source of manganese and copper, they are also a good source of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous, vitamin B1, zinc and dietary fiber.

4 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, 03 October, 2006, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Very big chick pea fan here and i dig what you did with them to make patties. They look scrumptious!

     
  • At Wednesday, 04 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I haven't tried the chickpea patties yet. They look good. That's toofunny about the fennel...I was the same way about it but now love to use it.

     
  • At Wednesday, 04 October, 2006, Blogger Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said…

    I love all the nutrition info you add into your blog. I'm a sucker for the learnin', :) and I didn't know all that about chickpeas or fennel.

    with my stomach woes as of late, looks like I need to make one of these dishes in the near future. :)

    looks wonderful!

     
  • At Saturday, 07 October, 2006, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    Hi kleo - these chick pea patties are a favourite, especially since I am not afraid of using fennel anymore!

    emmy - glad to hear I was not the only fennel-phob out there!

    don't get mad get vegan - thanks, I love nutrition info, when I finish my Ph.D. it is a dream to become a holistic nutritionist. (among other things - I am one of those life long learners) Sorry to hear about your stomach woes. Hope things improve for you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home