Cooking Delights

Monday, February 19, 2007

Cooking Class Preview

Sorry I haven't been getting to blogging much lately. I was away for a while doing some more training for my nutrition and lifestyle coaching practice.


February is flying by! It has been a busy month. I can't believe my cooking class is coming up this Saturday! Anyway, I have been doing some recipe testing and tweeking in preparation for the big day.




First up is the kamut and adzuki bean soup from Dreena's Vive le Vegan This was my first time working with kamut or adzuki beans so I am on a bit of a learning curve. I chose it for the cooking class because it uses some less well known grains and legumes and, well, that is the theme of the class: grains and legumes. Anyway, this will require some tweaking because my adzuki beans were "al dente" and my kamut was over cooked. I think by the time the cooking class comes I will have these glitches sorted out.




Second is definitely an old favourite from Vive le Vegan. These are the carob and coconut cookies. Now, I said they were sugar free, which they are not. However, they don't have very much sugar in them at all... which is why I missed it when writing my promotion for the cooking class.

And since Dreena Burton is the legume, grain, nut and seed queen (not to mention all round great person) I will be giving away one of her cook books at my cooking class!!! Any ideas on how I should give this away as a prize? I am thinking some sort of a fun contest is in order!

3 Comments:

  • At Tuesday, 20 February, 2007, Blogger laura k said…

    You have picked some great recipes for your class! It's exciting that you're giving away a cookbook--I've come to the opinion that no vegan kitchen is complete without at least one of Dreena's books. As far as a creative contest... I'm the last person you should ask for ideas! But I'm sure you will think of something great.

     
  • At Tuesday, 20 February, 2007, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Oh wow, great stuff. Kamut is something i wish i knew more about.

    Wish i was in your class! Yeah... i do, big time!!

     
  • At Thursday, 22 February, 2007, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    Hi laura! Thanks for complimenting my recipe choices! I would go as far as to say that any kitchen is not complete without one of Dreena's books.

    Hey kleo, I am surprised how similar kamut is to brown rice! I wish you were in my class too! That would be so much fun!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home