Cooking Delights

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Fun with Puff Pastry


I bought a box of puff pastry last time I was at the grocery store. Puff pastry has to be my most favourite cheat right now. Whenever I am craving something rich and baked, only puff pastry will do.



The first creation is made with an apple pie filling. I modified the recipe from the back of the box.



The second creation was made with pears that were on their way out. They were a little too ripe and therefore too runny. I think it would have tasted better if the pears weren't so ripe. All in all a nice treat.


Nutritionally redeeming qualities? Not too many, but they are made with fresh fruit. Well, in the case of the pears, not so fresh fruit.

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At Friday, 10 November, 2006, Blogger Melissa said…

    That sounds so good!I haven't been able to find vegan puff pastry yet, you're so lucky.

     
  • At Saturday, 11 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mmmm..those look really good. What kind of puff pastry did you use?

     
  • At Saturday, 11 November, 2006, Blogger fusion boutique said…

    Hey Melissa
    You know everything you eat doesn't have to be nutritious ... you are allowed to cheat!! I am sure you are enjoying your "alone" time this weekend. Talk to you soon, those treats look really yummy.

     
  • At Saturday, 11 November, 2006, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said…

    i've been going bananas with puff pastry lately! your folds are really pretty -- are you using 'Indo-European' Squares?

     
  • At Sunday, 12 November, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    whoo hoo...I'm a big fan of the puffin' pastry! It makes everything taste like it comes from a fancy bakery!

     
  • At Monday, 13 November, 2006, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    Melissa, you're Canadian right? I use the PC brand - there don't seem to be any animal products in it.

    Hi Nancy - I used PC puff pastry, I'm pretty sure it is vegan.

    Hi Jewell - Yes, we had a good weekend alone, even though we were sick. We didn't get to do as much as we wanted to.

    Hi Vicki - I'm not sure what kind of squares I'm using. I prefer to cut the pastry into smaller squares and fold them in half into triangles, I find they get more puffy that way.

    Megan - you're right, the puff pastry does make it taste fancy.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home