Cooking Delights

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Happy Birthday to Hubby!

Well, one thing is for sure, I tuckered myself out making this meal! The recipes I chose were a lot more labour intensive than usual. Also I think when you have guests you tend to make multiple courses, whereas when it is just for yourself you only make one thing. I started Friday night. I began by making the marianade for the mango-ginger tofu from Vegan with a Vengance. The marianade was quite labour intensive. So, OK for guests but not good for everyday.


Then I made some ginger dipping sauce to go with the summer rolls. The ginger dippings sauce was from Vive le Vegan. I liked it better than the sauce that goes with the summer rolls in Vegan with a Vengance.





On Saturday morning I started in on the cake- I chose Raspberry Frosted Cake with Chocolate Cream Center from Vive le Vegan. Unfortunately the silicone cake pans I treated myself to were too big in circumfrence and I ended up with two pretty flat looking cakes. Next time I will have to double the cake recipe. After baking the cake I was on to the icing. This was my first time working with agar powder, and it was not easy for me. I mixed it with the soy milk and ended up with a big clump, which I managed to break into smaller clumps but never did actually disolve in my raspberry sauce. I think next time I will skip mixing the agar with milk and just sprinkle it into the raspberry mixture for easier mixing.




Also Saturday morning I made raspberry lemonade. It is really tart. But I love it. This is a great drink to sip on. After making the cake, the icing and the lemonade, I headed off to teach my one fitness class, one yoga class and one prenatal yoga class.













When I got home I made the summer rolls and did the prep work for the pad thai.











So dinner was a hit, I think. My family kept teasing me about the vegan nature of the meal. You should have heard all the jokes about the tofu icing on the cake. Despite all the teasing, everything was TOTALLY gone. So they may like to poke fun, but the food was enjoyed by all!


5 Comments:

  • At Saturday, 10 June, 2006, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Wow, you guys made all gone. And I can see why! Lookin' GOOD!!!

    Happy b'day to your hubs!

     
  • At Sunday, 11 June, 2006, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    I couldn't believe it myself for all the strange conversation throughout dinner about "What do you guys eat?", "Do you take any supplements to make up for the food you are not eating?", "This is tofu?" Despite seemingly incredibly and amusingly strange to them, they ate up! Go figure!

     
  • At Monday, 12 June, 2006, Blogger Mindy T. said…

    I would leave a longer comment, but this post made me so hungry that I'm running out the door to my local Thai restaurant! What a great BD gift to give your hubby... lots of love in that food, I'll bet.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    http://mindycooks.blogspot.com

     
  • At Monday, 12 June, 2006, Blogger Dr. Melissa West said…

    Thanks mindy t. It was delicious and yes, lots of love in that food.. it was my gift to hubby and it was pure joy to see him eat it all up.

     
  • At Tuesday, 13 June, 2006, Blogger Dori said…

    YOur empty plate tell it all! Looks great.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home